Saturday, June 12, 2010

Standing Lamps, Pot Roast and Farmers Markets

Freaking Rain!!!  I am so sick of it raining.....and feeling swampy.  Yuck.....thought I was gonna go to the Davenport Farmers Market this morning, but just looked at the radar, and another HUGE batch of thunderstorms is rolling this way.  Hopefully this wave of crappy weather gets out of the area before my Mom arrives from Oregon on Wednesday.  Can't wait to see her!  I've been spoiled this year though, because she was just here in February.

This is the first time in my life that I have been a "stay at home mom".  Seriously...I have had a job that I have worked at every day since I was 12.  Paper routes, salon cleaning, Drugtown, Campbell Dining Center, Wolfe Eye Clinic, and Hy-Vee since 1988.  So what do people do on Fridays when they don't have to go to a job and the kids are home for the summer?  They go GARAGE SALE-ING!!!  Hehe...well not everyone, but since I am TRYING to decorate my first new home on the cheap, I figured it was worth a shot.  I mean, when you live in a trailer (excuse me....mobile home), your idea of decorating is rotating the tires (sorry...you can take the girl outta the trailer park...).  My home is lovely, but it has pretty much nothing on the walls cept pictures of the girls.  What DO you put on the walls anyway?  I have a few ideas...so with those in mind the girls and I hopped in the car and drove to the rolling metropolis of CARBON CLIFF, IL.  They were having a community-wide garage sale, so we were sure to find some GREAT bargains there right?  Um.....no.  It was pretty much Grandma and Grandpa sitting out front getting rid of ole redneck junk.  NASCAR stuff, Fishing Flys, hunting gear, glasses from the 1970's, yada, yada, yada.  At the first place we went to, I found a couple of standing lamps.  They looked to be in fairly reasonable shape (from an outward glance), and were only $1.00 a piece.  I asked the lady if they worked, and she told me that we could get some light bulbs and plug them in.  I, like a fool, said "not necessary" and "I'll take them".  RULE #1 learned about buying stuff at garage sales.....if it has to be plugged in...test it before buying.  I also should have moved the lamps from the place they were sitting on the uneven lawn, and put them on the driveway to see if they were even level (which I discovered later they were not).  Plus, one of them broke apart before we even got them into the car.  By the time we got home with them....I was all ready to play Mrs. Fix-it.  NOT!  They were COMPLETE junk.  Oh well...I would have been pissed if I had spent more money on them.  My daughter however, later found a lovely purple lava lamp for her bedroom.  This time we had learned our lesson, and had the lady plug it in before purchasing.  It bubbled nicely.

I love crockpots.  One of the best inventions ever.  Before we left for the garage sales, I put a pot roast in the crockpot...dumped 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup, a packet of dry onion soup mix, and a cup and a 1/2 of water in the bowl...put it on low, and when we got home dinner was cooking up lover-ly.  Good thing too, because it was HOT AS HELL.  I tried to lay out to tan my jiggly parts, and made it about a half and hour before I said screw this.  I wonder if the neighbors would be righteously pissed if I just went and jumped in their pool about every 15 minutes?  I don't need to swim around or anything....just need to cool off.  Yeah, I don't think that would get us any invitations to the block party.


Well...it's sunny outside now.  The calm before round two of storms.  I suppose I probably could make it to the market quick.  I only need a couple of things...........

No comments: