Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Ear Infections and Going Greek

My sick kid is driving me crazy.

Ok...not literally crazy, but nutso...loco....etc.  She has been down with an ear infection for two days.  She is supposed to be in school (.the last three days of school before summer break), but instead she is home....with a fever above 100 and a case of the I'M BORED'zzzzzzz.  Now, technically, she is still supposed to be in school (did I say that already?), which means that she's bored and school isn't even out yet.  It is going to be a LOOOONG summer.  I remember when the girls were babies and they would become ill, even though it killed you to see them hurting....all they wanted to do was snuggle with you.  Now you want them to go away.......

It's been a gross rainy day today.  LOTS of rain this morning, so I thought we'd hunker down with a nice movie.  Finding a movie that is appropriate for a 12 year old as well as an 8 year old is very hard.  The 8 year old doesn't get what the 12  year old does....but the 12 year old does't get a lot either.  Cartoon movies are too babyish for the 12 year old, but romantic comedies are too far reaching, and too provacative sometimes for both.  You can only watch the Princess Diaries and Hannah Montana so many times before they turn your brain to mush.  I actually had to have the birds and bees talk with my 12 year old....solely because she wanted to read the Twilight Series of books.  Damn you Stephanie Meyer.  Anyway....we tried Grumpy Old Men, but I'd forgotten about some of the language, so my kids proceeded to call each other "Dickheads" all morning.  Then we tried "Just One of the Guys" from 1985 which I remembered as being relatively tame.  Let's just say that PG in 1985 isn't PG in 2010.  I mean in the first 10 minutes the word HORNY is used 15 times.  We settled on Notting Hill....which I knew the kids wouldn't fully understand, but I love Hugh Grant.....so, there.  I could handle the roomate SPIKE in his tighty greys....the girls thought it was funny.

This afternoon I got a case of the grumpies.  I decided to organize all my medical records and payments for tax purposes (think I might get a write off this year), but all it did was depress me.  I guess I should be grateful that I am not nearly as ill as I was in July-Nov last year, or even Mar-Apr......but I am nothing what I used to be.  I am coming to the realization that I may never be able to return to Hy-Vee in a management capacity.  The Lyme is always there....ready to rear its ugly head.  So I got about 1/2 way through....thought screw this, and stuffed it all back in the drawer.

Made a new recipe for dinner tonight.  Greek penne pasta with olive oil, sundried tomatoes, garlic, feta cheese....delish.  One of the few nice things about disability is that you can try new things instead of tacos and spaghetti every night, or scrambling when you finally get home at 6:00 at night to have something on the table before its time for the kids to go to bed.  Of course the kids picked out all the tomatoes but at least they finished it.

The Dog took me for a walk tonight.  It was sooo swampy outside that I was sweating before we got to the end of the block.  He was a regular crazy dog as usual. We walked by this same lawn every time we go for a walk, and Wrigley pees in that yard every time.  It's one of those beautiful...lush...green...no weeds, growing straight, perfectly edged.  Sigh......heck, I want to piss on it.  I'd be afraid though that my BIG bright white butt would blind drivers and cause car accidents.  Just sayin.

Topping the night off with a DVR'd episode of Friday Night Lights.  I love this show,  the acting is amazing and Kyle Chandler is some nice eye candy (since I can't have REAL candy.....the aforementioned ass).

Hoping tomorrow will be nice...want to get somewhat of a tan on my white parts.

Later taters.....

No comments: